Thursday, April 23, 2009

Why I was wrong about blogging

When I first heard this class included tri-weekly blogging, I cringed. In my mind, blogging was a lame outlet for drama queens to express their every thought and emotion. The last thing I wanted to do was read multiple entries including boyfriend problems, fashion disasters, chick flick raves, Twilight talk or the phase OMG. Nor did I want to contribute to writing which I feel is not the least bit credible.

This is why I am so grateful I was mistaken about blogging. While undoubtedly these sub-par blog entires exist on the world wide web, the UNK blogs have been delightful and can be put in the category of legitimate compositions. I have discovered the power of using the web to express your viewpoints on vital issues, politics and even the things you love (in my case sports). With the click of the mouse and the stokes on the keyboard, you can voice your opinion on pressing issues, entertain others, critic anything from food to movies or just blow off some steam during finals week.

Perhaps the best part of the blogging experience has been the opportunity to read high-quality writing. While I have taken several literature courses, some of the best student writing I have encountered has been in the form of my fellow classmates' blogs. It is refreshing the read such good writing, and I fully expect quite a few of my classmates to be published in the future. Blogging can be shallow, but it does not have to be. I have enjoyed the experience, and I am glad that I was wrong about blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment